Posted on: 11 November 2015
Moving can be a stressful process at any time during the year, but even more so during the holiday season. Between organizing, packing, and moving everything in your current home and getting settled into your new house, it's hard to find the time to enjoy your family's holiday festivities. Fortunately, you can make your move simple by following some advice from Santa.
Make a List and Check it Twice
Purchase a three-subject notebook to help you stay organized. Use section one for everything related to your current house, such as inventory lists of each box; devote the second section to things relating to your new home, such as lists of small repairs that need completed and utility companies to call; and use the third section for holiday planning. This way, all of the important details that you need to keep track of are in the same place. To make it easy to find what you're looking for organize your notebook further.
- Print a calendar, and then, tape it to the inside front cover to keep track of important dates.
- Make separate to-do lists for each section. By dividing your to-do list up into three sections, it doesn't look extremely overwhelming, and you're more likely to remain focused on the task at hand.
- Purchase a three-subject notebook that has pockets on the dividers to store important papers and information that you'll need during your move, as well as the receipts from holiday shopping.
Put the Elves to Work
Even the smallest elves help out at the North Pole, so why not enlist your children to help you during the moving process? You won't have to do everything alone, and your children won't be worried that moving will cause them to miss out on all of the holiday fun because they are involved in the process. Have your elves help you:
- Organize and pack boxes.
- Gather items that you want to donate.
- Put the boxes in the correct rooms once you arrive at your new home.
Whatever you do, don't allow your move to become so stressful that it keeps you from joining in on the fun. It's important to keep your family's holiday traditions alive even though you're busy. To make sure there's time for both work and play:
- Purchase all of your gifts online, and if possible, choose the gift-wrap option when you check out so that the gifts arrive ready for the recipient.
- Only move the items that you need immediately into your new home. Rent a self-storage unit at Tysons Self Storage or a similar location to store the rest of your belongings until after the holidays.
- Pack everything your family needs for the holidays in specific boxes. This way, you know exactly where things, such as your holiday decorations are located, and you can unpack those boxes first.
It might take a little more time to plan a move during the holiday season, but that doesn't mean that the process has to be stressful. Make you move simple by taking some time to get organized, encouraging other family members to help out, doing your holiday shopping online, and putting everything that isn't completely necessary in a storage unit until the holidays are over.Share